A bridge for agrifood trade is a project born in October 2015, when BMTI – together with the Italian Ministry of Agricultural, Food and Forestry policies, and Unioncamere-the Italian Union of Chambers of Commerce, Industry, Crafts and Agriculture – presented the prototype of the International Online Market (IOM) during the conference of Expo Milan 2015: An online platform to improve and access to agri-food markets. The IOM is an online regulated platform based on international trade practices facilitating demand and supply matching between enterprises of different countries by ensuring the clarity and standardisation of negotiations.
In that occasion, Minister Maurizio Martina proposed to share the experience of BMTI in online markets with the institutions of Mediterranean and African countries. A bridge of agrifood trade is the implementation of that idea.
Commissioned by the Italian Ministry of Agricultural, Food and Forestry policies, the project managed to disseminate the best practices of the Italian institutions on the development and transparency of agri-food markets, with the purpose of promoting the IOM towards Mediterranean and African countries showing interest for the initiative.
In 2016, information and promotion were carried out activities towards the institutions of targeted countries, selected according to a study measuring their trade context and the exchanges of agricultural and agri-food products between these countries and Italy.
- Meeting with the Embassy of the Republic of Angola in Rome, August 8 2016
- Meeting with the Embassy of the Kingdom of Morocco in Rome, September 5 2016
- Presentation of the project to the Delegation of the Republic of Angola at the 5th edition of the Blue Sea Land, October 6 2016
- Meeting with the Commercial Office of the Embassy of the Republic of Turkey in Rome, November 4 2016
- Event The Italian Online Commodities Exchange meets the Izmir Commodity Exchange, November 10 2016
- Meeting with the Embassy of the Republic of Tunisia in Rome, November 23 2016
- Meeting with the Embassy of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia in Rome, November 24 2016
- Participation at the North Africa Business Development Forum of the Mediterranean Week of Economic Leaders, Barcelona, November 30 2016
- Meeting with the Embassy of the Kingdom of Morocco in Rome, December 14 2016