A bridge for agrifood trade is a project arising in October 2015, when BMTI – together with the Italian Ministry of agricultural, food and forestry policies and Unioncamere – we presented the prototype of the International Online Market (IOM) during the conference of Expo Milan 2015: An online platform to improve and access to agri-food markets. The IOM is an online regulated platform based on the practices of the International trade which facilitates demand and supply matching between enterprises of different countries, ensuring clarity and standardization of the negotiations.
The Minister of agriculture Maurizio Martina in that occasion proposed to share the Italian experience in this field with the institutions of the African and Mediterranean countries. A bridge of agrifood trade is the implementation of that idea.
Commissioned by the Ministry of agriculture, the initiative had the objective to:
- promote the knowledge of the IOM among the Mediterranean and Sub-Saharan countries interested in seizing this opportunity;
- disseminate the best practices of the Italian institutions on the development and transparency of agrifood markets.
The Initiative was implemented in 2016 and it carried out activities of information and promotion towards the institutions of targeted Countries. The countries were selected according to a set of criteria: the interest they showed, the exchanges of agri-food products between Italy and these countries.
- Meeting with the Embassy of Angola, August 8, 2016
- Meeting with the Embassy of Morocco, September 5, 2016
- Presentation of the Project to the Angolan Delegation at the 5th edition of the Blue Sea Land, October 6, 2016
- Meeting with the Commercial Office of the Turkish Embassy, November 4, 2016
- Event “The Italian Online Commodities Exchange meets the Izmir Commodity Exchange”, November 10, 2016
- Meeting with the Embassy of Tunisia, November 23, 2016
- Meeting with the Embassy of Ethiopia, November 24, 2016
- Participation at the “North Africa Business Development Forum” of the Mediterranean Week of Economic Leaders, Barcellona, November 30, 2016
- Meeting with the Embassy of Morocco, December 14, 2016